The National Restaurant Association, American Hotel & Lodging Association, and the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute have made numerous educational and professional development opportunities available to displaced hospitality employees in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These resources are free to access through May 31.
National Restaurant Association
Learn the basics of safe food handling practices. This online course is free until May 31. Please note: Food Handler does not replace Manager’s Certification.
Position yourself for career opportunities that will become available when our industry is able to open its doors and host guests again. ServSuccess offers two tracks of training:
- Restaurant Professional for the individual starting their restaurant career
- Restaurant Manager for the individual who is responsible for supervising others
American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute
AHLEI is offering three professional development courses to those impacted by the coronavirus. www.ahlei.org/free-training/
- Supervisory Skills Builder: Learn the essential skills that help supervisors contribute to the success of a hospitality establishment. Training modules cover skills development for key areas including conflict management, staffing and scheduling, communication, and team building. This training is suitable for entry-level hospitality employees and hospitality supervisors.
- Hospitality Management: Leadership Skills: Learn how to lead a team by building a positive workplace culture, aligning day-to-day operations with organizational goals, using emotional intelligence to connect with employees, and more. Be more than a manager, be a leader. This training is suitable for entry-level hospitality employees, hospitality supervisors/managers, and general managers.
- Certified Hotel Administrator Online Review: Review the necessary knowledge essential to overseeing all functional areas of a hospitality establishment as a general manager or operations executive. Module topics includes rooms management, human resources, financial management, marketing and sales, and more. This training is suitable for hospitality supervisors/managers and general managers.
American Hotel & Lodging Association Foundation Continuing Education Scholarships
Lodging industry employees who have lost their job or been furloughed due to the COVID-19 pandemic are eligible to have their educational expenses covered by the Foundation. The Foundation is offering three courses for continuing education.
- English as a Second Language (ESL): If English is not your primary language, this course can help you learn valuable English skills so that you can communicate more effectively with hotel guests and fellow employees.
- GED: The GED is a recognized alternative to the U.S. High School Diploma. Passing the GED test gives those who do not complete high school, or who do not meet requirements for high school diploma, the opportunity to earn their high school equivalency credential.
- Associate’s Degree Courses: The Foundation’s CE scholarship program can cover the cost so you can enroll in online post-secondary classes from a list of approved partners in the weeks ahead.
Learn new skills and position yourself for new opportunities when the crisis is over. •