Tools for You and Your Employees
The lifting of all COVID-19 mitigation in Pennsylvania made the world feel like it came alive again, but it brought with it a new challenge for hospitality industry operators—employee staffing.
As a member of PRLA, there are several tools and programs available to you and your team for recruiting, professional development, human resources help, and other benefits.
Gone are the days of restaurant or hotel work being considered dead-end jobs. There are numerous professional development and certification programs that your employees can take advantage of to upskill and advance within the industry.
Certified Restaurant Professional is designed for emerging restaurant professionals who have begun mastering skills critical to the industry. This course is great for upskilling your entry-level positions looking to take on more responsibilities and start their journey of making a career in the industry.
Certified Restaurant Supervisor is designed for restaurant supervisors who are learning to lead and coach fellow employees. This course is aimed at entry-level supervisory positions, like closers, shift leaders, and openers, who want to prepare to move into management.
Certified Restaurant Manager is for restaurant managers responsible for driving the business of the operation. This course is geared for your management-level employees who have their sights set on becoming a general manager.
In addition to the industry’s leading food safety certification training, ServSafe is serving up several new products to help you attract and retain talent.
- Manager’s Certification is the premier and accredited food safety training program and is approved by the PA Department of Agriculture to satisfy the ‘person in charge’ requirements. PRLA offers more than 80 in-person classes annually at locations around the Commonwealth.
- Alcohol service involves many risks. This course prepares employees to handle these risks with responsible alcohol training. It also qualifies for the state’s mandatory server/seller RAMP training.
- Allergens is an online course that trains employees to identify allergens, prevent cross-contamination, and improve communication with guests.
- Workplace is a comprehensive suite of training programs rooted in cultural and social issues affecting today’s hospitality work environments. It focuses on creating and sustaining a safe and appropriate work environment for all employees and covers the following topics:
-Sexual Harassment Prevention
-Understanding Unconscious Bias
-Third Party Delivery
- COVID-19 Training Resources were developed to address the challenges presented by COVID-19 and are free resources aimed at keeping your workers and the dining public safe. Upon completion of these trainings, the attendee will receive a Record of Training.
-Delivery & Takeout Best Practices Training
AHLEI Hospitality Certification Programs
AHLEI has more than 20 offerings for all levels of hospitality professionals, from line-level through executive certifications, all endorsed by the American Hotel & Lodging Association. The EI’s certification grid can help your employees identify the right courses for their career path. AHLA members are eligible for professional development scholarships to help offset program fees, study materials, and exam fees as employees grow their hospitality knowledge and skills.
Temple University School of Sports, Tourism, and Hospitality Management
PRLA has partnered with Temple University STHM to provide our members interested in pursuing a master’s degree in hospitality management or travel and tourism with a guaranteed $4,000 scholarship for either program. It’s just one more professional development option we’re proud to offer.
PRLA Job Board
Part of recruitment is letting potential candidates know what jobs are available in your business. PRLA members can post open positions on the PRLA Job Board, free-of-charge. To help spread the word, PRLA has launched a multi-media awareness campaign, Level Up, to let former and future employees know the opportunities available to them in the hospitality industry. The digital ads drive clicks to the PRLA’s job board, and the stories shared on PRLA’s social channels from current employees highlight the diverse offerings and career advancement within the industry.
Human Resources and Benefits
Now, more than ever, employers are looking to add new benefits to their compensation packages to recruit and retain top talent.
Small business owners wear many hats when running their operation. PRLA is proud to offer affordable HR solutions through our preferred partner, FocusHRO. Think of FocusHRO as your “Business in a Box,” offering you access to large company employee benefits that fit your small business budget. Whether you need HR compliance assistance or want to offer your employees voluntary products like disability or life insurance, FocusHRO can help you find the right solution to fit your needs and budget.
Through our partnership with UnitedHealthcare, PRLA can offer our members exclusive solutions for you and your team, including health insurance, a free pharmacy discount card, and telemedicine. Additionally, the new Individual-Family Health Insurance program can follow an employee wherever they go. •